Good Friday

This year’s Good Friday was unique because it’s the first time I went to the beach instead of participating in the annual processions in Sta. Cruz or watching the different rituals in other places like Marinduque or Banaue.

No, I wasn’t on the beach for a little rest and recreation. I drove all the way to Nasugbu, Batangas to assist foreign post-docs, grad students, and their families in THEIR vacation. The group decided that their short trip would be held on the long weekend of Lent.

I thought it’s such a waste to go to the beach alone, so I took along my cousin and her daughter so they could also see the beach.

My superstitious mom had some violent reactions with going to the beach on Good Friday. According to her, it’s a particularly bad day to go swimming. I, on the other hand, didn’t see it that way. For me, it’s a time for self-reflection and renewal of faith, not the perfect holiday excuse to go to a resort.

But being non-members of the Christian denomination, it’s not such a big deal to the participants (many of them were Muslims and Hindus). To them, it’s a long weekend and a perfect time to spend away from Los Banos. This wasn’t surprising because they don’t oberve Lent at all.

When I got to the beach, I was shocked to find so many people swimming, sun-bathing, and frolicking on the sand. And these were not foreigners. These were Filipinos!

Seven years ago, I spent Good Friday up the mountains of Banaue with family. I had the privilege of discussing Lent traditions with a mumbaki in his house and visit the well-preserved remains of his father. But in that year, there were hardly any Pinoy tourists up there. Most of the people I saw were foreigners (and their beer-chugging during mealtimes was a big issue to me, being the season of restraint and all).

I guess the Lenten scene has indeed changed. Enough for a priest in Mindoro to comment sadly about Pinoys no longer understanding or observing the meaning of Lent while favouring the more worldly partying activities accompanying any beach vacation.

And this little beach trip I did on Good Friday? I think it’s an eye-opener for me about the changing landscape. I may not have queued in the procession or fasted (but I did refrain from eating meat), but the day trip has given me a chance to reflect on how the Pinoy Lenten tradition is being changed in today’s modern landscape.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses