Padre Garcia (trivia)

More on Padre Garcia, Batangas... being in the place is as good a time as any to soak a bit of history, and I took that opportunity :D The information that follows comes from 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Padre_Vicente_Garcia

The town was named after Padre Vicente Garcia, a priest who defended Dr Jose Rizal from other priests who labelled him a heretic and a blasphemer. The priest's relics are interred in the town church, the Church of the Holy Rosary, which is even older than the Batangas City Basilica! 


I guess the church has undergone restoration work, but  seems unchanged since the first time I've seen it (in 2005, because I rarely went to town before that year).  Nevertheless, baroque influences in its facade's architecture remind me of the Ilocano Earthquake Baroque churches sans the Chinese-stylised clouds. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses