GQNPC Road Trip Leg 3: Strawberry fields are forever...

July 18, 2010.

La Trinidad, here we come!!

The morning drizzle did not dampen our moods about going to the strawberry farm. Alas, we arrived six weeks too late! Strawberry season was over for this year, and all we saw were the seedlings and the land preparation for next season... plus a scattering of vegetables, of course. 

So, instead of picking strawberries, I ended up buying 1kg at P250 from one of the vendors near the souvenir shops. Expensive, yes, but I don't go to Baguio that often. 

Anna has since eaten most of these strawberries and has converted the leftovers into strawberry cream popsicles. 

If strawberries were off season, strawberry-flavoured taho was not. I tried it out when Fe bought at Mines View Park and I decided that I preferred the traditional taho. Kuya Teodie's kids looked like they enjoyed the strawberry taho.

Then there were these huge Sagada navel oranges. I love citrus fruits, so I just had to try them. So sweet! Plus, their rinds weren't oily at all. I'm not sure if these oranges were in season, but I bought six anyway, at P100 per 3 pieces (and the vendor gave me an extra orange for free). Now, after eating one orange a day, I notice that my fruit supply is quickly running low and I need to stock up... (what's next, pomelo?) I hope that there are Sagada oranges in the supermarkets!

Cashew nuts were on sale too... and I thought they only sell these nuts in Antipolo. I was fighting off boredom by people-watching through the coaster's window when this man came by selling cashews. Now these nuts were the expensive ones (at P50 for a few ounces). I bought some anyway because Anna loves cashew nuts. 

The others... they were serious shopaholics!! They bought lots of vegetables near the strawberry farm, no longer intent on going to the Baguio City market. 

Just when I thought shopping was over (I was itching to get to Tam-awan Village), we stopped at the Coop, where there's a huge statue of a strawberry! Why it's there, I don't know. I'd expect it to be stationed somewhere near the municipal plaza, just like San Pablo's coconut and Calauan's pineapple.... or somewhere along the highway, just like Victoria's ducks.

Looks like Kuya Dennis liked this giant strawberry!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses