the case of the irate telemarketer

One afternoon, I received a cold call on my mobile phone from a telemarketer. She said she won't take too much of my time. I told her I was busy but I'd give her five minutes. And so she proceeded with her spiel.

After two minutes...

She still wasn't finished with her marketing script and I just had to cut her off. To make the long call story short, she was selling accident insurance and got my phone number from the frequency shopper's card information I submitted to a shopping mall. After giving the seven-figure coverage (which normally wows people, I would think) and asking me if I understood the policy, she started asking me for my credit card information.

(I totally do not appreciate that the shopping mall where I got my frequent shopper's card forwarded my contact details to this telemarketing company. I am checking the fine print of the paper I signed when I got the card. Hmmph!)

Unfortunately for her, I wasn't buying into her hard-selling technique. I told her that I wouldn't give her any credit card information over the phone and I'd like to receive a written document regarding the contents of this policy before I decide to buy the insurance. Email or snail mail would do.

That irked her.

Telemarketer: Ma'am, I've asked you if you have understood the terms of the policy I'm offering. And you said that you did. Because you have understood these, you no longer need a written document about it. I would like to get your credit card information for the payment of the policy. What kind of payment plan would you like?

(Does she think people get blinded by six zeros and two commas into giving away their credit card details to some strange telemarketer?!? We consumers also think, you know. Doesn't she know that phone conversations lack the oomph factor that helps in marketing?

Me: Yes, I've understood what you've said. However, I would still appreciate some more information about this policy before I decide if I would subscribe to it or not. I would like to see the fine print of this policy. Can you send me an email containing the details? Or some form of brochure?

Telemarketer (in exasperation, I think): Which parts of what I have explained don't you understand?!? I've told you everything there is to know about this policy. It is company policy that we do not send out brochures because we, the telemarketers, are expected to explain the details thoroughly during our calls.

(What kind of company doesn't send out brochures, leaflets, pamphlets?!? Schools, restaurants, real estate developers, and internet services providers send out paper and email brochures! Some even have posters in PUVs. The refusal to send additional information raised a few red flags in my head.)

Me: I understand everything that you have said. Even so, I'd like to see a brochure, any written material about it really, before I decide. I'm not even interested in what you're selling; I already have insurance coverage.

Telemarketer (angry now, I think, because her voice was raised and had this stern tone): Ma'am, I already told you that we don't send off brochures. It's impossible to send information to you about this policy until you have paid. The hard copy of the policy would be sent to you a few weeks after you've paid via credit card. What I'm offering to you is obviously different from the insurance coverage you now have.

(Great. She's got telepathic powers too. Time to stop this telemarketer's call. Her five minutes were almost up.)

Me: Miss, I have not been given a chance to mull over the entire policy's terms and conditions. Because of your refusal to send over more information, I am not even considering looking into the insurance policy you're selling. Good bye.

---

I thought having a customer service representative bang the phone on me while I called in a problem was bad, but having a conversation with an irate telemarketer was even worse. I don't know how she sells anything with that temper of hers.

Comments

  1. Haha, ang courteous mo naman Rochie. Kawawa siguro ang telemarketer na to kung gutom ka nung tumawag sya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oo. Maganda ang timing. Buti na lang kakatapos ko lang kumain nung tumawag siya!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by!

Before moving on, please share your thoughts or comments about the post. :)

Thanks again!

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses