driving in the rain

The rain hadn't let up the whole day. Worried that the road conditions would be worse tonight than they were this morning, I decided to take the "road less travelled", by me at least. This route goes from Los Banos, through Calauan, San Pablo, and Alaminos in Laguna, and then through Sto Tomas, Batangas  just to get to Calamba. Basically, this road, the Maharlika Highway, goes round Mount Makiling. 

I chose this route because it's on higher ground, particularly in San Pablo, Alaminos, and Sto Tomas: less chance of flooding out there. The downside: this route is about 58 km one way; that's almost three times the distance along the more direct, albeit flood-prone, path (about 20 km) and is longer than the distance from home to Luneta Park in Manila! 

And what impeccable timing I had. Just as I was going up the zigzag road to San Pablo, the rain intensified; I could barely see more than beyond a few meters in front, hence the measly 20-30 kph pace. Once I got into the city, the rain weakened a bit (and by this I mean I was able to drive at 40 kph), only to strengthen once more as I was leaving Sto Tomas. So strong that I didn't realise that I've missed the turn to the SLEX link until I've passed one of the industrial parks.

At times like these, especially with my accident still fresh in my head, I just wish I am not behind the steering wheel...

Anyway, even with the longer route and the 90-minute trip home, I think I made a good call by travelling via the Maharlika Highway, round the mountain. As soon as I got home, I received a message saying that Brgy Pansol is indeed starting to be flooded. 

Happy to be home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses