songs from grade school

On June 19th, I went back to Church Among the Palms (the church at the Christian School International) to attend the baptism of Marga Anacleto, Roslen and Mylah's youngest daughter. It's been a while since I've attended a service at the Church Among the Palms, and quite frankly, I miss all the royal palm trees. However, my heart was warmed when the Chancel Choir performed two of the songs I learned in grade school.

While members of the congregation were walking around and wishing each other peace, the choir sang "This is the Day" which is based on Psalms 118: 24. Then, when the congregation had accepted Roslen and Mylah and Arnold (the guidance counselor at CSI) as formal church members, the pianist played "Onward Christian Soldiers" (lyrics by Sabine Baring-Gould, 1865 and music by Arthur Sullivan, 1871).

"This is the Day" was an action song during my days in CSI. We used to sing along to it during Chapel Service. I remember it also being sung when the weather wasn't so good... maybe in an attempt to cheer us up (or to wake us up, even).

I never memorised the lyrics of "Onward Christian Soldier" but I could still recite the notes in the melody of this song. Yes, the notes. Thanks to the CSI Band's teacher during my grade school days, Mr. Almario, the notes are still drilled in my head. It's the first marching song I've memorised for the lyre. So when the tune was played during the June 19th service, my brain went: "do do do do re do/ sol sol fa sol la/ la la do fa fa mi/ re re la ti do..."

I learned a lot of songs during my days attending CSI and Church Among the Palms. These two are some of the songs that warm my heart whenever I hear them because they remind me of the good old days of grade school.

What songs did you learn in grade school?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses