Review: The Tourist (2010)

I watched The Tourist with my sister and her friends at home one weekend. With Angelina Jolie in the lead female role, I never thought that this movie would be a comedy. But then again, I should have, because Johnny Depp played the lead male role.

While the action parts were still a big part of the movie, I got struck with the dry humour coming mainly from Depp's character, Frank. For instance, Frank attempted to compliment Elisa (Jolie's character) by saying she's ravenous when he meant that she was ravishing. What would one expect from a guy who knew numbers more than vocabulary, I thought. However, Frank spoke Spanish fluently. It wasn't language that he had issues then; apparently, he was just nervous when he met Elise. Frank's prowess in Spanish would've been impressive for a tourist, if he were in Spain. Instead, he was in Venice, Italy! The concierge even commented on it.

I realised, while watching the movie, that not everyone would understand the humour. One has to have a wider range of English vocabulary and beginner's level of Spanish, Italian, and French to fully grasp the jokes and the comments made by the characters. Anyone, however, will still enjoy the action and the scenes in Venice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses