weird ideas welcome

Still harvesting lessons from the leadership course I took. My teachers did say that the topics covered during the course are very applicable in our personal lives...

(=^.^=)

Have you ever experienced having people tell you that your weird idea is so out-of-this-world that isn't feasible?

In class, we were given an issue that we needed to find solutions for. All ideas, ranging from bright to stupid, were welcomed. The issue, during the exercise, wasn't something Earth-shattering; we were told to design a table. During the first part of the exercise, we weren't allowed to call the more outrageous ideas impossible, not feasible, difficult, weird, or stupid.

Still wondering at how to use this lesson in everyday life, I started noticing the unique.

While window-shopping, I got intrigued by the bladeless fan on display; intrigued enough to buy one just to see how it works. Now, cleaning my electric fan is a breeze!

Then, while ordering at Burger King, I noticed a reminder to staff at the counter and in the kitchen: "No mocking odd orders. EVER." That made me happy, because now I know that I can have burgers with extra pickles, jalapeno, and mustard whenever I feel like it. Think of all the possible hamburger combinations!


Then there's Meg Ryan's character in the movie"When Harry Met Sally": she was very specific with what she wanted in terms of food. Harry (Billy Crystal) impersonates Sally like so:
"Waiter, I'll begin with a house salad but I don't want the regular dressing. I'll have the balsamic vinegar. and oil, but on the side. And then the salmon and the mustard sauce, but I want the mustard sauce on the side."  
Keeping our minds open to ideas, even those that are too weird for our tastes, helps us become more creative. So from now on, I will avoid discouraging myself and others from pursuing paths that seem too different from what is considered typical. I guess that's the long version of "thinking outside the box".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses