on changing phone numbers

This is the fourth (or the fifth?) time I'm changing mobile phone numbers in the fourteen years that I have been a cell phone user. The count just includes the times I've changed Philippine phone numbers; my overseas mobile number changes every time I'm outside the Philippines because I buy a local SIM in my destination.

With each change in mobile phone number (whether in the Philippines or outside), I find myself having difficulties in accepting my new number and letting go (albeit temporarily) of the old one. For instance, in 2008, I was forced to change my phone number because my phone had been stolen. It was such a big adjustment since I had that phone number since 1999, I think. FAST FORWARD TO 2012: I thought it's high time to apply for a data plan (since internet access is so strongly intertwined with phone usage); the caveat was that I have to change phone numbers again!

So while waiting in line for the salesperson to talk with me last week, I began thinking: why do I have a hard time letting go of a phone number? One that I've been using for several years. An inanimate and intangible object at that. What's the big deal about an 11-digit number?

Then I read Lem Usita's blog post: "Phone Numbers". He says that phone numbers used to be "identity markers", something that I could connect myself to, something that I could identify with. Reading it gave me a Eureka moment...

Changing phone numbers this year was like letting go of who I have been for the past four years. A new phone number is like unfamiliar territory, an uncomfortable place; something that's hard to adjust to. But like an immigrant who has newly arrived, I'll eventually get used to the new phone number. It will feel like home; just give it a few months.

All that uneasiness! And to think that this is an additional phone number. Someday, I might use this new number exclusively, but right now, I'm keeping both numbers.

Comments

  1. When I graduated from college I wanted to change my phone number. But I decided to keep it since I used it for some "non-personal" transactions like job applications. And today I just received a message about this year's job fair in the university. I was not able to attend last year because I was too busy preparing for graduation. I was thankful I did not let go of that number because it turns out the job fair has limited slots for applicants this year - which for me is a very important message.

    I wanted to change my number because it's like cleaning my room-having a fresh start. But I think I'd be the change-the-sim-card-but-not-the-number type.

    I hope my comment still make sense. I like reading your blog. I can relate to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I'm so happy that you like reading my blog :)

      I totally understand what you mean about changing phone numbers. :)

      It took me two years before finally deciding that I'll move to a different number. Actually, I kept asking the service provider if it's possible to keep the number but change it from prepaid to postpaid. Now that there's that possibility, I still decided to change numbers because of the data plan.

      BUT I am keeping the old phone number alive because that's what I've given to colleagues, collaborators, classmates, teachers, and family. Plus, since it's a number that I'm identified with, I find it hard to let go.

      As for the new number, I think I'm getting used to it now. A few more weeks and I'll be comfortable with it. The sales agent made good with his promise of giving me a nice number.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by!

Before moving on, please share your thoughts or comments about the post. :)

Thanks again!

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses