fascinated by the partial lunar eclipse

Ate Mary and the waxing gibbous moon
(Mind Museum, Taguig)

Yeah, I'm one of those people who love watching an eclipse. The natural phenomenon, NOT the movie.

I got hooked when I had the chance to see my first lunar eclipse one clear evening many years ago. The late Ernie Baron was still the weather reporter on TV Patrol at the time. After his weather report, he announced that the lunar eclipse was about to begin. My siblings, cousins, and I ran out to the street to watch the moon shrink from a yellow-orange orb into a blood red sliver before going back to normal.

Naturally, when I got wind of the supermoon eclipse on June 4, I was very excited to watch it... even if it's just a partial one. I was excited because the moon's supposed to be HUGE! With a huge chunk missing!

I wished then that I could have taken at least a photo; but since I couldn't, I decided to sit back, relax, and enjoy the show.

And so once the sky finally darkened, I found myself a good seat, hoping that the cloud cover would be blown away by the wind. A few minutes into the wait, the full moon rose above Mount Banahaw in the east... only, it's not perfectly round. I saw the moon in the Earth's umbra: the Earth's central shadow darkened a third of the moon. That was such a great sight to see. Amazing!

A few more minutes into the lunar eclipse, the moon began leaving the Earth's umbra and started becoming brighter again. Thin wisps of clouds began to move over the moon, making the moon quite blurred to look at; beautiful, nonetheless.

As quick as it began, the lunar eclipse ended. The moon glowed brighter as the night grew deeper.

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Syempre! Kung hindi ko makuhanan ang eclipse, kukuhanan ko ang buwan nang malapitan. Hahaha! :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by!

Before moving on, please share your thoughts or comments about the post. :)

Thanks again!

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses