good Samaritans abound

I've been taught that driving a car comes with its share of conveniences. Driving one brings me faster from Point A to Point B without getting squished by fellow commuters in public vehicles, for instance. But there are hassles too. One of the downsides of driving a car (and being dependent on it) is the possibility of the car breaking down when I've got somewhere to go to.

And the timing has always been impeccable.

One of the first times I had a flat was year ago when I was Makati. Again, one of my tires got deflated when I on a Maundy Thursday pilgrimage this year. Then as my birthday weekend began, I discovered that the left front tire was deflated. I was supposed to be on my way to Dara's farewell party; instead, I was on my way, yet again, to the vulcanizing shop.

Sometimes, I could only shake my head.

roadside vulcanizing shop in Los Banos, Laguna

More importantly, though, whenever I've had a flat tire, there were people who answered my call for help. These good Samaritans have often taken the form of fellow drivers. In Makati, they were drivers in a hotel or the mall's parking lot lounge. On Maundy Thursday, they were tricycle drivers who were waiting for passengers outside the Don Bosco Church near Ayala Westgrove. And for my most recent flat, they were drivers on night duty at the IRRI transport office. These people are blessings. I will always be thankful to these strangers (and acquaintances) for helping me with the flat tires.

When the damsel is in distress and the knight-in-shining-armor is not in sight, help comes in the form of good Samaritans.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses