Review: Inception (2010)

You know a movie is an extremely good one when two years after its release, you still have questions about the plot even after watching it more than five times.

One such film, for me, is Christopher Nolan's Inception (2010). What gets me each time I see Inception is the ambiguity of the story, particularly at the ending. Every time the screen blacks out, I feel a 'kick', as if I'm part of the dream that everyone in the movie is waking up from. Yes, I recently got jolted again, because I saw it on cable. Again.

Thanks to the sense of unease -- of suspense -- I spend hours after watching the movie just poring through discussion boards and articles on the internet just to get the closure I need to be able to move on. It's just a movie, I know. But this need for closure reflects upon how brilliantly the movie has been made.

Come to think of it, not many films have this effect on me. For most of them, I watch the film (and watch replays as well), I talk about it a bit, and then I move on to the next one. Not so for Inception; and not so for two other Nolan films, The Prestige and The Dark Knight. I haven't seen the other thought-provoking movies under Nolan's belt but something tells me that I will someday.

Next movie please!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses