on really getting into the diet

It's not easy, I can say that right now.

As the implications of the calorie limit in my diet plan started to sink in, I began to realize just how much food --junk food -- I had to give up. I am reading food labels more diligently these days too. Especially when I am constantly faced with chocolates, potato chips, and hearty afternoon snacks... not to mention my normally generous helping of pasta and rice at home.

So, the diet.

The dietitian has suggested that I follow the "diet exchange program" until I get the target weight off. As far as I understand this concept, I am allowed to eat indicated portions (in the diet plan) of the different food groups at different times of the day. For example, I may eat a certain amount of fruit and an estimated amount of meat, but it's up to me to break the portions down to the different meal times: breakfast, morning snacks, lunch, afternoon snacks, dinner.

Wait, there's no midnight snack?!?

Anyway, after a few days into the diet, I think I'm starting to get a hang of things. I eat a lot of vegetables to fool my stomach that I'm not really hungry. I eat fruit during snack time to boost fiber intake (aside from all the electrolytes, vitamins, and minerals I get from them) and satiety at a relatively low calorie level. Well, low-calorie as compared, let's say, to what's normally at arm's reach during snack time: junk food.

In my attempt to monitor my food intake, I'm currently using the food database in

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calorie-chart-nutrition-facts

as reference while I record my food intake. Based on the data, I'm supposed to bulk up on the fiber and the green leafy vegetables to stay within the calorie cap and to avoid feeling hungry throughout the day. That's not new news.

Note that so far, I've only reduced pasta and rice intakes and I've been putting off sweeping the chocolates in one sitting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses