Manila, by train.

While I was still in a bus en route to Manila, I saw that the Philippine National Railway (PNR) train was jam-packed in the Buendia station. I thought it would be cool to try that on my way home to the province later in the day. But after my morning in Manila, I decided to go to Greenhills, San Juan to apply for an international driver's permit at  the Automobile Association of the Philippines. And because I wanted to be there fast, I decided to take the elevated railway system.

Manila railway map from http://www.urbanrail.net/as/mani/manila.htm

My trip via the elevated railway systems felt like being packed in a can of sardines from Point A to Point B and being on a long queue each time I had to change trains. Despite being cramped the whole time, I was happy because I got to San Juan City in an hour and a half. I don't know how much time it would take if I had ridden the bus. Also, the whole trip felt like an impromptu field trip; I've never been at Doroteo Jose before and it's been years since I was at the Araneta Center, Cubao in the afternoon. The last time I had been in the Araneta Coliseum, it was evening and I was there to watch the Incubus concert with friends. Along the way, I passed by the different schools forming Manila's University Belt, and different hospitals too.

One more thing: despite the crowded cars of the trains, I enjoyed looking at the view of Manila's rooftops. The view from above looked so much like the aerial shots from The Bourne Legacy! That was so cool!

What a nice sight-seeing day in Manila.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses