Culinary arts lesson #3: Face your fear.

I am very much afraid of splattering cooking oil because I had a painful encounter with it as a child. In culinary arts class, I am forced to face that fear at last.

Have I conquered it though? Honestly, not yet. I can now saute with confidence but I am still intimidated by the wok filled with oil for deep-frying pork chops, tempura, and french fries. The nice thing about the class I'm attending is that the chefs tell students how to prevent oil from splattering. Also, since we're wearing long-sleeved coats, there's some protection right there. If only I won't look funny wearing a chef's coat at home as I cook.

Anyway, I'm halfway through cooking class. I'm sure that I would've at least gathered more courage to face the deep-fryer as I venture into the second half of the course. 

Fingers crossed!

---
On Saturdays, I attend the Fundamentals of Culinary Arts classes at the International School for Culinary Arts and Hotel Management (ISCAHM) in Quezon City. I'm listing a few things I'm learning (aside from how to cook the fine-dining-restaurant-way, of course) as I attend school, lest I forget them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses