Review: Bakit Hindi Ka Crush ng Crush Mo? (2013)

Once again, I found myself falling in line at the ticket booth to watch a movie I didn't know anything about. This time, though, I was with a different group of friends.

As the lights were dimming and as the opening scene started, I blurted: "I thought we were watching Bakit Hindi Ka Crush ng Crush Mo?. Why is Kim Chiu in it?!"

"Don't you like watching Kim Chiu movies?", my friends asked. 

"I'm not a fan but I have seen some of her films. Why, is she part of the cast of this film?", I answered, still confused... I thought the first scene was a trailer of a different movie.

As the movie continued, I realized she was the lead actor in the movie. She top-billed the movie and rightly so because she really drove the plot forward. Her comedic timing felt natural, never forced, and as if there were no cameras around. While she clearly led the rest of the cast, none of them were overshadowed by her acting chops. Even the scenes with the kids, the film's version of the Greek chorus, and the village band seemed ordinary enough. 

On the other hand, Xian Lim portrayed the character I've seen in several Filipino movies: a guy with something to prove to his father and elder male relatives. I instantly saw his similarities with John Lloyd Cruz's Miggy Montenegro in A Very Special Love and You Changed My Life. Including the penchant for singing to woo the girl, of course. 

When the movie closed, I just had to ask: Did the movie actually answer the titular question? I think the answer was lost to me as the plot progressed. 

If you know the answer to Ramon Bautista's* pressing question, feel free to comment. Bakit 'di ka crush ng crush mo

---
* Ramon Bautista is the author of the book this movie is adapted from.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses