maybe i need to become a polyglot.

In my calendar, I'd call the third week of September as language week. There were three days during that week where I was talking with people who spoke little English while I speak little of everything else. Thank goodness for translators!!

Day 1: I was talking with a group of Chinese scientists. I don't know how to say anything in Chinese except for thank you (Xie xie) and hello (Ni hao). Their host acted as the translator and he asked me jokingly if I could talk with the visitors in Chinese. Actually, this is the second time someone has asked me if I could speak a Chinese language; the first time, it was Mandarin.

Day 2: A group of Japanese media practitioners talked with me through a Filipino translator. The only Japanese expression I could say on top of my head is thank you (Arigatou). They did not request a discussion in Japanese so I didn't have to worry so much. They did, however, request that I talk in Filipino. That was the challenge for me: it's difficult for me to talk science using my native language. Again, this was the second instance that I was asked to talk science in Filipino. The first time? I was asked to consider the option of using the local vernacular.

Day 3: I was about to speak to African trainees when I noticed that they were not paying attention to the facilitator. While the facilitator was introducing me and when I started speaking (in English), I realized that I was in front of an audience from Francophone Africa... and I needed to find a way to catch their attention on the fly. So I greeted them with the limited French I know: Bonjour! Comment ça va? I knew that had some impact because the trainees began talking animatedly with me. Problem was, when the energy ebbed during the hour-long talk, I couldn't seem to get reengaged. Time for Plan B: the food and Bon appétit! That, I think, was the last of my French sentences. Luckily, I didn't need any more because they became active in the discussions again until my talk ended.

Despite our language barriers, I didn't feel the need to resort to non-verbal communications that curious September week. Nothing still beats the way I mimed with a non-English speaker in a different country when my cousins, my sister, and I got lost and were looking for our hotel. They found it so hilarious that it still draws the laughs from them many years after!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses