Rice Survivor (Wet Season edition): Harvesting rice is easier than I originally thought.


Months ago, I was down in the mud, transplanting rice for a few minutes and watching field workers do it for a whole afternoon. I realized then what I've always known mentally but never experienced before: being a field worker is a back-breaking profession. Whoever penned the song "Magtanim ay 'di biro" was not kidding. 

So when harvesting time finally came along, I was fully expecting to be amid field workers and learning how to use the scythe. However, Team Tagumpay decided to try mechanized harvesting. This means that a machine goes into the field, cuts the stalks, threshes the panicles, and stores the grains in a bin. Ideal conditions allowed us to do so: (1) our plants did not fall over, or lodge, due to the wind and the rains of the wet season; (2) the soil was dry enough for the machine to drive through.


I had cleared my calendar for the morning for this. But it took less than two hours to finish the harvest! If you ask me, I find this as an anti-climactic end to my run as a Rice Survivor.

One thing I know for sure is this: Team Tagumpay had definitely survived. We just have to find out if our team can stand up to its name. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses