All Saints' Day 2013

While All Saints' Day is traditionally when people visit the dead, it is also the time to reunite with the living. 

October 28, 2013
With the road going to Manila Memorial Park being notoriously heavy on this time of the year, I opted to visit the grave of my paternal grandfather, Lolo Bats, a few days ahead (right after I voted at the Barangay Elections). With me was my grandma, Lola Bats, who's age and health condition prohibit her from walking long distances. And with her was the househelp, who had to assist her with the short walk to Lolo Bats' grave. If it were just me, I'd have also visited an uncle (buried on a hilltop), his dad (I couldn't seem to find his grave each time I try),  and the Aquinos (buried near my grandpa's site).

After the pleasant afternoon outing, we then went to visit her daughter, Tita Ising. This was the first time that Lola Bats saw her youngest great granddaughter, Elise, because she is overseas with her parents (Tita Ising's youngest daughter). The wonders of technology: Lola Bats saw Elise via FaceTime. Truly, the world is getting smaller.


November 1, 2013
On the day itself, I visited the grave of my maternal grandma, Lola Estay, at the Sta Cruz Public Cemetery. Now that was nothing short of a party. My aunts, cousins, nephews, and nieces spent the day and the early part of the evening at the grave. There were food (rice meals ands snacks) and beverages; lights were switched on in the evening; and the kids brought their smart gadgets with them.


Traffic was bad in the evening but at least I had the option to walk because Lola Estay's house was just a long walk away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses