the show must go on

Seeing Man onstage as one of the hosts during IRRI's year-end party reminded me of Queen's song "The Show Must Go On". Man was aptly dressed as a classy Peter Pan, in my opinion, because he faced the audience with his jolly face on despite losing his father to cancer a few days before the party. 

Inside my heart is breaking
My make-up may be flaking
But my smile still stays on.

I don't know how he does this. During Lola Estay's necrological services, I had a very difficult time delivering my eulogy for her. I was choking up my words and was trying to keep the tears from falling. But in Man's case, he seemed happy as ever.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die
I can fly, my friends

Maybe, part of the joy is because his father is finally at peace and is no longer battling the cancer. Perhaps, his heart has been filled with positivity and support provided by family and friends. After all, when the news broke out, his friends from Los Baños braved the horrible Manila traffic to visit him and his relatives at the wake. His Manila-based friends visited him as well. But somehow, I think that what Jim Hutton said of Freddie Mercury applied to Man too: "He [Freddie] never grumbled to anyone or sought sympathy of any kind. It was his battle and no one else's..."

I have to find the will to carry on
On with the show

Condolences, Man. Manuel, Sr is now watching you from up above, made whole again. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses