"Beyond the Six Strings"

Indeed, the Silangan Chamber Guitar Ensemble showed what guitar performances are like beyond six strings. It was an evening of classical music in Church Among the Palm's new chapel; despite issues with the acoustics (the echoes were quite bad), the guitarists' renditions of the classics made me wonder how could they play such complicated pieces seemingly without difficulty?

I have to be honest; I am not such a big fan of classical music. I know Mozart's Requiem quite well and I listen to it when I feel stressed out. Beethoven, sure, with Symphony No. 9's Ode to Joy. Other than these pieces, I am not familiar with classical music... much less with those arranged particularly to be played by guitar ensembles.

And so tonight, I listened in to appreciate the classics. And the guitarists helped... a lot. The audience was taken on a musical journey that enthralled and educated. We listened to pieces composed by people I have never heard of (except for Antonio Vivaldi); there were western classics and then there were pieces with a more Latin flair. It was a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

It was a good evening with great music. And it was for a good cause too. The concert was part of fund-raising efforts for the Church Among the Palms sanctuary.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses