lava tubes!

The tour group I was with made a stop to see lava tubes along the Kalanianole Highway called Hālona Blowhole. Here, the lava tubes formed in such a way that when the waves crashed in a particular manner, the sea spray would shoot through the tubes, mimicking geysers. 

And it's such a treat for me because I have never had the opportunity to see geysers in real life. It was a wow moment for me.


Since I was touring the great outdoors, I found myself lucky to see mongoose scurrying about near the parking lot. The tour guide told my tour group that these animals are actually invasive, meaning that they've been introduced by people. In the mongoose's case, people intended them to combat the rat population that came with sugarcane plantation. However, the farmers made a major blunder: the rats were nocturnal while the mongoose were awake during the day. Therefore, the animals did not even meet!


Near the blowhole, I found myself overlooking at one of the best sights I've ever seen during my trip here in Oahu: the Hanauma Bay. Look at that! The water was shallow enough for people to walk near corals! I wouldn't advise doing that though because these fringe corals could be sharp; I'm speaking from experience here... I've had several scratches on my legs after being pounded by the surf onto corals near Cemetery Beach in Tingloy, Batangas.


Because it's winter, there's a possibility to see humpback whales from this viewpoint. However, we didn't see any. Perhaps the whales were playing just off the bay and weren't visible from where I was standing. 

Better luck next time! At least I've seen lava tubes in real life now.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses