we found whales!!

I was at Diamond Head Beach Park, one of the hidden beaches near Waikiki, with Duane and Didi (who are Lorie's friends). Originally, we wanted to hike Diamond Head but we arrived too late in the day. So instead, we opted to wait out the sunset on the beach. We just didn't know yet which one.

We stopped when we saw that there were many people surfing because we figured that there must be a way there (either on foot or by car). We're sure that the other people have passed the warning signs about the hazards of going beyond the road level and the memorial for who I assume must be a fallen surfer. 


Despite these warnings, people still took the risk and caught the waves. Take note, it's winter. The water must be frigid!



While watching the many surfers in the water, I glanced further into the horizon and saw water spurting out of the sea. That couldn't be a whale, I thought. My eyes must be playing tricks on me. And then another spouted water into the air... okay, that's a whale! Other people must have seen them too because we were all squealing at the sight. And thanks to my camera's 40x optical zoom, I was able to catch a decent photo of one whale's flukes! Finally!!


Too bad I couldn't get any closer to the whales. Not like that time I was almost up close to a pod of dolphins off the coast of Anilao. Anyway, if I were to guess, this whale is a humpback. They should be migrating south around this time of the year anyway. It would be cool to see blue whales or sperm whales... or even orcas. But I guess they don't venture this close to shore so far south.

Maybe I'll take a boat ride on a whale-watching trip at some point. In the meantime, I contented myself with the whale sighting and the glorious sunset that started to cast a golden glow on the coastline. And being hidden from the hustle and bustle of the Waikiki side of O'ahu, the coastline was serene and picturesque.


This has got to be one of the best sunsets I've encountered so far. Manila sunsets I've seen have normally been cloudy, rarely clear like this.


One day, I'll be back for more, Hawai'i! I shall return!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses