Toruk: The First Flight

Many years ago, I was one of the many people who watched James Cameron's Avatar twice on the big screen: once on the regular cinema and another time on IMAX. So when I learned that Cirque du Soleil was bringing Toruk: the First Flight to Manila, I was so excited! This happens only months after I've watched Luzia under the Grand Chapiteau.

Basically, Toruk is like a prequel to the events leading up to Avatar. But instead of Star Wars-esque style of narrating, the show features puppetry, acrobatics, great music, and audience participation via their mobile phones. 

As always, I watched in awe as the story happened seamlessly in front of me. The lighting and the production design were so intricate... my absolute favourite were the sparkly things floating around that are supposed to be wood sprites. I also likes how the staging made me focus on one side of the stage while they were prepping the new props on the other side; so by the time I looks back, there's a new scene there.

What an experience! It was such a visual feast!


But what amazed me the most was the sight after the fancy lights were turned off and the arena lights were turned on. The stage was just a plain old stage! I was so fascinated by the theatre lights that enabled so much beauty to come out of this stage!

Actually, I was thrilled that I could take a peek at how this show was made. Imagine how many technical staff this show must have!


So, if I'm counting it right, I've seen five Cirque du Soleil productions now. Slowly but surely, I'll be able to watch all of them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses