hello, Aarhus!

The SDG Talents' last stop in our Denmark adventure brought us to Aarhus, the country's second largest city after Copenhagen. One of the first things I noticed is that Aarhus has a small-town, homey feel to it; in contrast, Copenhagen had a busier vibe. Maybe it's because we were dropped off where there weren't too many vehicles and we were crossing the roads at leisure, mainly.

Unfortunately, because our schedule was packed with business cases and pitch practices on our first day, pitch competitions on our second day, and programs on our third day, I felt like I didn't really get the chance to roam this quaint city the way I was able to see Copenhagen on foot. Nevertheless, I was still able to have a glimpse... noting that I'll be back here one day to really just absorb what I'm seeing.

So, right after we've been dropped off at our hotels, we were told to proceed to a company called Bestseller, whose building is found smack on the Aarhus harbour front. It stands out from the rest of the more traditional Aarhus buildings across the street because its façade is primarily glass (imagine seeing the building at night with all the lights on the curtains drawn!) and there was a lot attention put into symmetry of grey rectangles. It's a good expression of elegance and modernity for a company that houses fashion labels. 

Aarhus buildings right across the Bestseller building
After the lunch and the program at Bestseller, my team proceeded to the Aarhus School of Architecture where we would meet our mentor and have our dinner on our first night. It was just a short walk from Bestseller, so it wasn't much of a problem; however, I felt like we were in the Amazing Race or in a treasure hunt because my teammates and I only had maps with us and the buildings didn't necessarily state whether they were office buildings, schools, or residential areas.

The next day started quite wet and slippery but it gave us a great view of what Aarhus was like in a backdrop of grey clouds. But after a morning of pitching, I was surprised to see that the rain stopped and we could see more of Aarhus by foot, with the view unobstructed by umbrellas.

buildings near the University of Aarhus
By this time, I was already starting to get tired of seeing the same architectural styles in every corner of this city. Perhaps the weariness was setting in or the novelty of the style was wearing off. However, all it took was for me to mistake a fire station for a church to make me look at these buildings with a fresh set of eyes.

Yes, I mistook this fire station for a church when I was walking along its front yard... this is the side of the building.
Since the Brenderup folks finished pitching early, we had two hours to go around the city on foot. I was with three other participants and we basically walked from the university to a church and to a department store, which turned out to be at the other end of the street where the hotel I was staying in was located. That's when I realised how small Aarhus is compared to Copenhagen... but then, I'm sure there's more to see in this city than what I have already been to.



On our last day in Aarhus and at UNLEASH, we spent most of our time in Aarhus Art Museum, touted to be one of the largest museums in Northern Europe. It was a pity for me that this trip wasn't for sightseeing. Instead, I had to be there to network with other UNLEASH participants from the same region as I was. Hence, I wasn't able to see much beyond one art gallery and the restaurant. And yes, I didn't get the chance to walk on the rainbow platform. It's okay; it just means that I'll be back one day.

Walkway to the art museum, ARoS

The view from the restaurant was cool though.

The view from the restaurant area

Going back by bus to Copenhagen, I decided to take the front passenger seat so I could get a great view of the scenery while the sun was still up. And I'm so glad I did it because the streets in this city are picturesque. Sure, there are modern buildings but the traditional-looking ones were still dominating the view (even if the novelty does wear off).


As with Copenhagen, I will visit Aarhus again someday. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to yet another city to explore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses