Dining with a bonafide foodie

On the long drive south from the Ateneo de Manila University, Neil started sharing stories about dining in some of the world's best restaurants... those that I could only dream of going. We thought that we could eat at Vask, which was closed so we decided to drive further south, to the Black Pig

It was an interesting experience, eating with a bonafide foodie. He was quite particular with where the vegetables were sourced, for instance. He tasted bitter flavours in the cauliflower, which prompted him to ask where the cauliflowers were sourced. He told me that local cauliflowers were bitter; those from Japan were sweet; US cauliflower tasted "industrial". He also was into beef. Apparently, Kobe beef came in grades; he was willing to pay for the most expensive grades and cuts when he was in Japan. He also bought exorbitantly priced fruit while in Japan: he was willing to shell out $200 each for a melon, a box of cherries, and an apple. He shared stories about the different types of strawberries that were available in Japan after I told him that I went to a strawberry farm and ate freshly picked (I did the picking) strawberries inside a greenhouse.

Why the heck were fruits treated like luxury goods in Japan?!?

I was observing this foodie go through the ordering process and then the tasting. He looked like he was putting in a lot of mental effort in understanding the textures and the flavours he was perceiving while eating. I, on the other hand, threw all analytical processes in the wind and started enjoying my meal. I felt like the friend who the culinary jet-setter brings along to a chef's table; while the person's busy critiquing the tiniest detail in the meal, I'm the one chomping all the grub down. He, on the other hand, is an example of a culinary jet-setter: he caught a flight from Washington, D.C. to New York just to eat at 11 Madison Park, which was ranked No. 1 in the World's 50 Best Restaurants list provided by San Pellegrino. I, in contrast again, was within 30 minutes (by foot) of the building that used to house Noma (a restaurant which has two Michelin stars) but I didn't find the time to go and visit while I was in Copenhagen.

We look forward to eating at Gallery Vask around summer. In the meantime, I will continue exploring new dining experiences wherever I go. He, on the other hand, will go to Japan to savour the freshest fruits and vegetables, and the best meat and fish. When we eventually go to Vask, I'll try to bring along some other foodie friends. Then, that would be a party. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses