Speaking at the APAIR NatCon 2018

One afternoon, I received an email from the DG's Office requesting me to sub for Matthew at a conference at the Ateneo de Manila University... I had to talk about sustainability in development. Wow, this appears to be my first speaking assignment as part of the Sustainable Impact Platform. I gladly accepted because one of the things I want to do is to encourage students to take up the sciences... and because I used to teach at the ADMU.

On the day itself, I was told that the attendees were mostly in senior and junior high school and in college. My session's audience was supposed to be a mix of students interested in humanitarian and environmental topics. I thought that that was cool. After all, I taught Biotechnology for non-Biology majors.

My topic was entitled "Ensuring sustainability through rice research for development in the Philippines". I opted to feature IRRI's work in collaboration and with funding from the Philippines' Department of Agriculture, such as the Heirloom Rice Project, Next-Gen, PRISM, Rice Crop Manager, and WateRice. 


But how do I make the audience relate to the plight of the farmers? I had to bring the topic of farmers' incomes and expenses in context with what they know. I assumed that this age group is into collecting those annual Starbucks planners so I thought that I could use that idea. Marc Adrian Padillo calculated that one could get a planner by spending Php 2610 on a combination of handcrafted and of holiday beverages.


Coincidentally, one of the references I used stated that Php 2610 (that's about USD 50) is also what a farmer could get on average (per month) from proceeds of farming. These value examples made quite an impact to me while I was prepping for my talk that I had to include these in.

Did I make much of an impact on the audience? That is something I would like to see in the future. In the meantime, I am happy that ADMU's Project for ASEAN and International Relations (APAIR) is making inroads towards encouraging students to think about science, technology, and society as they study international relations and diplomacy. I am truly honoured for being given a chance to talk about the good work that IRRI is doing to help Filipino farmers through technological assistance.

Thank you, Bruce, for recommending me for this assignment!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses