At the National Arts Centre

After our walking tour of UPLB, it was time to go up the slopes of Mt Makiling to visit one of the sites frequented by tourists and artists alike: The Philippine National Arts Centre. It also hosts a school for artistically gifted teenagers (yes, it sounds a lot like Professor X's School for Gifted Youngsters)... I had wanted to go to school there but I realised early enough that my musical inclinations wouldn't meet the cut; students going here were so dedicated to their craft while I was just a hobbyist.

On our way up, I was amazed at how excited Nico was getting. He recognised the names of the artists who studied or visited the National Arts Centre (their photos and names were on banners lining the road going to the centre). I, in contrast, only knew of a few people.

Our first stop was St Marc's Chapel, just one of my favourite spots in Los Baños. It has got to be the most peaceful place because it's not visited as much as other chapels. A good place for weddings but definitely a nightmare for parking and for walking in heels.


After satisfying their curiosity about the chapel and reliving the film shoot for a local movie made here, we continued our trip up the road until we reached the National Arts Centre's main theatre. Surrounding it are concrete benches that are photogenic; you'd know that the artists who stayed here must have been very inspired.


The theatre has this red-tiled roof that can be seen all the way from Calamba. the first time I saw this up close was when my extended family had a weekend reunion there, complete with swimming in frigid waters in a swimming pool! I don't know where we stayed exactly, but it must be one of the guesthouses.


Around the theatre and the benches were plants in full bloom. Red, white, and orange flowers made for great contrasts with the greenery.




Nearer the edge of the mountain, we had a reminder that we were on a dormant volcano. The Department of Science and Technology's had installed an earthquake monitoring facility here. 


Beyond the earthquake monitors, we had a glorious view of Calamba. We saw villages, the Laguna de Bay, farmland, forested areas, Lecheria Hill (where the Rizalistas supposedly live)... if I'm not mistaken, we even saw as far as Cabuyao or Sta Rosa.




We also saw Crcodile Lake, which is adjacent to Laguna de Bay. I've never been to Crocodile Lake; I have only seen it from this vantage point. It certainly looks deeper than Laguna de Bay... and cleaner too.


After viewing afar, I started taking a closer look... and saw Joys and Nico doing an impromptu photo shoot under some artificial canopy. They obviously enjoyed this trip!


The drive up the National Arts Centre is certainly something I want to repeat. Perhaps, next time, I'll be able to catch a performance. Now that would be another treat!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses