Takara Sushi

I like maki. Ever since I was a kid, I always wanted to eat the ones with salmon inside. When I was in Sydney, I always ordered the chicken and avocado rolls in the sushi bar along Paramatta Road; in Brisbane, there was this noodle bar where I kept getting sushi. I even learned to how make maki so I can eat some at home! And then there's Ippon Yari, the Japanese restaurant in Calamba which Val, Nikos and I have been frequenting, mostly on Friday nights... and where I used to eat Sunday nights after wakeboarding with friends. 

Anyway, as Anna and I worked our way back to the Rockridge BART station, she was egging me to buy her dinner. So we ended up in Takara Sushi. It was open despite the July 4th festivities, thank goodness! The warm glow of the interiors were welcoming us from the cold. Despite the lateness of the hour, the sushi chefs and the servers were warm and welcoming. It probably helped that operations were winding down that night and the place wasn't packed.


Inside, we were welcomed by the view of a table surrounding the preparation area. This reminded me of Mendokoro Ramenba... except that Mendokoro featured nothing but ramen. Upon closer inspection of the Takara interiors, and to Anna's surprise, we were actually staring at a sushi train! I first encountered this in Sydney on my first night there but it's Anna's first time to see one. So we took our seats around the sushi train–or sushi boat, in the case of Takara Sushi–and I picked out the dishes I could eat. 


We had Philly rolls, which contained cream cheese, smoked salmon, and avocado. This happens to be one of most frequently ordered dish in Eatsumo, a Japanese restaurant in Los BaƱos where I typically had dinners with the grain quality researchers. 


We also had futomaki, a vegetarian option. It contained egg, some sort of pickle, and carrot... probably there  were other vegetables, but I didn't notice because I just kept chomping on the rolls.

Both sushi variations were delicious. Anna was partial towards the Philly rolls, of course. This dinner was a perfect way of getting over missing my Ippon Yari and Eatsumo meals... plus, the sushi didn't break the bank. Both dishes were relatively affordable. 

Perhaps next time, I'll try the other items on their menu. I think I saw a listing of ramen and udon...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses