chaos in Egypt

It's absolutely chaotic in Egypt at the moment. CNN is showing live feeds from Tahrir Square, Cairo: the fighting between pro- and anti-government people, the absence of police and military forces, flames and smoke all over. There have been deaths and serious injuries already as the fighting turned more violent.

I tuned in a week too late. The fighting has been going on for a few days already, and it's the first time I've stopped to have a closer look at the news. I still need to catch up on what the protests are about. Luckily, Wikipedia has summarised the events leading to today's CNN broadcast. 

When I first read about this event, I thought that it would be similar to the more peaceful EDSA Revolution (1986) that installed Corazon Aquino as the Philippines' first woman president. However, the Egyptian protests became bloody and violent in Cairo as can be seen in this video (from CNN).


I hope that the clashes are stopped soon and peace is reestablished. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses