Midnight snack: Mitchell's ice cream

I love watching travel shows on tv, "The Lonely Planet". A few years ago, I was watching a feature on San Francisco (with Justine Shapiro, if I remember it correctly) and an ice cream shop was featured in that episode. I eventually forgot the name, of course, but what struck me was that this particular shop served ice cream where some of the flavors are of Philippine fruits.

While planning my California vacation this year, my mom supplied the name: Mitchell's Ice Cream. Yes, that's the one! I was curious because it's also in the to-do list for San Francisco tourists and residents alike.  It must be so good. Luckily, on this third visit, I was able to drop by the quiet corner of 29th Street and San Jose Avenue on that cold evening after I ate at Asmara with Biboy and his friends.

Even at the late hour we arrived, people were still lined up and others still were on their way! I was becoming more convinced that the ice cream must really be yummy: people on midnight runs were snacking on Mitchell's ice cream even when it's freezing outside...

With a lot of flavors to choose from, I opted for something that's not from the Philippines (because I was flying out soon): GRASSHOPPER PIE.

Grasshopper pie
Intriguing name, right? I've never heard of it before. But it's really delicious! Grasshoppers were in their minds, most likely, when the ice cream makers combined mint and chocolate together into this swirly mix. It is one of my favorite flavor combinations; in fact, I used to frequent Baskin Robbins for cookies-and-mint ice cream. I love the contrast between the sweet and syrupy chocolate and the cool and refreshing mint.

My cupful of Mitchell's ice cream also brought back good old winter memories of tubs of Peters ice cream that I used to buy in Newtown and of scoops of Royal Copenhagen ice cream in waffle cones at the Broadway Shopping Centre. 

Yum yum. What a way to end a food trip!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses