another long drive home

I only realize how far I've gone based on how long I have to drive to go back home. In the case of my second trip to the hot air balloon festival, I thought I would have a homeward drive that's as easy as the one I had last year. But this year's trip was more trying.

My patience was tested beginning at the parking lot. Because a lot of people went out at around the same time as I did, I had to wait for an hour and a half to get out of the parking lot.

stop-and-go traffic in Clark Field, Pampanga
Thankfully, I was driving home with high school buddies Mafel and Karen, and Karen's daughter, Kat. They all helped keep my mood in check as I drove at a snail's pace in the parking lot.

After escaping the parking lot, the first real challenge set in: driving via the SCTEX and then the NLEX. Being on the freeway was a lot better than being stuck at the parking lot, but my main concern was fighting off the fatigue and drowsiness on the long trip home. Kat, who had the gift of the gab, could only talk so much (she's just five) so it was up to me and my friends to keep the conversation going... until we reached the Shell station at the NLEX... Finally, some dinner!

An hour after, we had to get a move on again because at the rate we're going, I'd be home way past midnight and they still had to commute to their homes. 

I was wishing that I'd be zipping through the 20-km stretch of EDSA as fast as I'd done before sun up. But no, I had to be stuck again in traffic from Araneta Center to Buendia! Just look at the picture above again for a reference... this time, though, I was plying the road along with a lot of trucks and buses, instead of just smaller vehicles. It was relief to get onto the SLEX for the final stretch home.

The best wake-me-upper for me this trip: the screech of brakes as the bus in front my car almost hit the jeepney in front of it at the last tollgate!

Cutting the long trip's story short, we got to our meeting point in about six hours and 30 minutes. Compare that to the early morning drive, using almost the same route (we didn't go through SCTEX), of about four hours (it took about an hour to reach the Clark Field from the gate).

An afternoon of kite-flying was worth that very long trip though. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses