Generosity knows no borders

Typhoon Haiyan is one of the strongest and biggest storms to hit any country in recorded history... As luck would have it, the deadly path Haiyan (aka Typhoon Yolanda) took included a sweep of the central Philippines. Lots of people helped in their own way. I saw how crowded the relief goods preparation area was with the number of volunteers in Pasay City.

But what surprised me even more was how far-reaching the effect of media coverage really was. 

On the day I arrived in Hong Kong (with Chill Sapiandante) in January, I went to the Asia Society Hong Kong Center in Admiralty. We were there to participate, as IRRI representatives, in Asia Society HK's No Country: Contemporary Art for South and Southeast Asia program entitled "In a Grain of Rice: Food and Culture for South and Southeast Asia". As we were about to leave the building, I noticed the announcement for the event:


Wow!

I never realized just how big the relief effort was until I was outside the Philippines and I saw this poster! I feel that the society's current theme is just perfect: Generosity knows no borders.

Thank you, Asia Society HK!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses