Hello, 2014!!

In the Philippines, New Year's Eve is traditionally celebrated with lots of food and lots of noise (including firecrackers). It's one of the worst days for people with asthma and allergies and can turn dangerous, if not deadly, for people who choose to ignite firecrackers and fireworks.

I knew that this kind of frenzied revelry is not typical where my parents live but I never realized how quiet New Year's Eve really is there until I popped in for a visit. We just had dinner (which was courtesy of Mommy, Ate Gigi, and Patrick) and had a bout with the videoke machine.


 

But the fireworks and firecrackers were sorely missing. It wasn't as exciting as when us being on the sidewalk, actually lighting those sparklers, blowing on paper trumpets, and watching people risk life and limb just to light the next rocket.

Nevertheless, it's a holiday spent with my family. That is always the best way to spend New Year's Eve... specially after two consecutive years when I had to celebrate it alone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses