Exploring Singapore in three days, part 4

I was in Singapore in January to attend an MBA orientation for prospective students at INSEAD. While there, I took the time to explore the city and learn a bit more about its history and culture.

I might have avoided the touristy spots, but I couldn't help but visit two architectural features of Singapore on my last evening in the city: the Supertrees and the Marina Bay Sands resort. Yes, the Merlion was supposed to be close by but I wasn't able to get there because of time constraints.

Marina Bay Sands
Wow! That was my first impression when I saw it from my cab en route to my hotel from the airport. It's supposed to be the world's most expensive building and I was able to step inside it!! The exteriors were more interesting for me so I stepped out to take photos. Then I realized that the wind was so strong where I was standing that it was really hard to get a good photo of the building, in the dark, without a tripod. The view was breath-taking, nonetheless.

Marina Bay Sands, up close and personal... from the viewing deck

The three-building structure reminded me of what the tour guide said about buildings with holes when I first visited Hong Kong in 1994: a dragon was living in the mountains and the building was blocking the path from the mountain to the sea so the architect designed a hole through the hotel for the dragon to pass through. There were no mountains behind the Marina Bay Sands structures so I doubt that dragons were a concern here. But there were trees... GIANT trees.

Supertree Grove
First thing in my mind when I saw them: the movie Avatar (2009). I was half-expecting blue humanoids with tails and dinosaur-like giant birds to swoop in on us smaller people. But as I got closer, I learned that these structures were greenhouses or vertical gardens. Singapore's use of solar energy to green the cityscape was executed in a grand, modern way. I'm not sure what to make of it... My jaw dropped when I saw the structures. 

Supertrees made me feel so small. No giant birds in sight? Good, I'm safe.

Who says culture has to be static? These two ultra-modern features on Singapore's Marina Bay coexisting with the traditional structures in the rest of the city just blows my mind away.

Wow!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses