Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar, part 2

My parents had grand plans about this year's vacation: walking down colonial era memory lane, digging one's toes into the sand, and lounging beside crystal clear waters. 

... And so my family ended up in Bagac, Bataan. More specifically, we spent a weekend at Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar.

---

Travel Time.
Maalala Mo Kaya.
Aawitan Kita.

Yes, I felt like I teleported and landed on the set of these shows just because the music that welcomed me and my family that night were popular back in the old days. And when I say old, I mean really old. According to my dad, we were listening to songs that my 98-year old grandma used to listen to as a teenager!

The music was far from boring, contrary to my expectations. There was an open-air performance at the plaza where dancers performed a lively suite of folk dances. In between dances, a singing duo called Kundiman si Lolo, si Lola serenaded the audience with kundiman and Filipino novelty songs. Lolo (Roel Roma) and Lola (Hazel Corpus) even led the audience to sing the folk song Paru-parong Bukid. The finale of the cultural show was the tinikling but with a twist: the dancers, aside from dodging the colliding bamboo sticks, had to jump up and down wooden benches! Now that is a major workout!

(the tinikling with a higher level of difficulty)

Still keen on the period music theme, I noticed that a second group, a string trio, performed the following day. The group's repertoire was wider than the kundiman duo: they accommodated Daddy and Anna's requests for Spanish and Italian songs. I have absolutely no idea what they were singing but they were lively, perfect for the sunny afternoon.

So, aside from architecture appreciation, the weekend in Bagac, Bataan also turned to be a music appreciation course.

Walk down the colonial era memory lane: Two checks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses