Review: Starting Over Again (2014)

Wednesday night was movie night for Fe, Tita Dory, Kuya Ferdie, and me. We trooped to SM San Pablo to watch Star Cinema's movie entitled "Starting Over Again". There were mixed opinions about how this movie ended, which piqued my curiosity, motivating me to watch it in the theater rather than wait for it to air on cable TV. Going in, I didn't have any expectations except that it's supposed to be very good; after all, people waited in long lines when it first started showing in theaters. 

The movie managed to make me cringe, laugh, get angry, tear up, and find catharsis... all in 120 minutes. Piolo Pascual and Toni Gonzaga effectively led us through the emotional roller-coaster of Marco and Ginny's fractured relationship in a very realistic way; the way the movie ended was just what I expected after going through the two-hour wringer with these two characters.

The movie's scriptwriter (Carmi Raymundo) and the director (Olivia M. Lamasan) are GENIUSES. It's been a long while since I've watched a movie whose script was really memorable that lines continue to hit a nerve. My three movie-mates and I had quite a post-screening discussion while I was driving. The movie was that compelling.

Here are my insights on my top five most memorable quotes:

"I always love how food preserves a memory."
Trust me to remember a line about food! But I agree with this statement. For me, my favorite food items are not only my favorites because they taste great; I also love them because they evoke a feel of home, of family, of belonging.

"Kailangan na kitang i-delete sa buhay ko."
I remember a former colleague of mine, Warly. He used to delete people's contact details from his phone when he got irked by them. At that time, I thought that this approach was a bit immature. But guess what: I've resorted to this several times in the past, especially when it's time to move on and to grow.

"I deserve an explanation. I need an acceptable reason."
The most powerful punch line in the movie, in my opinion. It can be uttered in various contexts. While this is a line mentioned by the two protagonists looking for closure, Fe and I started saying it when we were talking about our research results... and in such contexts, could bring a lot of laughs among the people who have seen the movie.

"Yang hope na yan, lason yan. Parang drugs na nakaka-adik.... Try mo kaya lumaklak ng realidad?"
Ouch. I am one who tries to be optimistic in not-so-good situations so this comment was kinda painful... really hurtful at the core. How do I continue if I don't have hope? Hoping is not the same as living in a pipe dream though; I know that one. 

"Ours began in a most unexciting way: as friends. Now, our love may be quiet and boring but it is sure."
Iza Calzado's character, Patty, delivered this line with such poise and dignity that I was rooting for her to get the happy ending that she and Marco worked hard for. Deny it all you want, dreamers. But this is a great way to start a beautiful friendship. Quiet and boring, you say? That, I'd imagine, is what being at home is like, in two words... if I were to describe with one-word adjectives I'd go for peaceful, happy, content. Or I'd say that it's like drinking steaming hot chocolate milk with marshmallows on a cold and gloomy winter afternoon.

Catharsis.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses