San Jose stroll

Jocelyn invited me to join her and one of her friends on a road trip to San Jose. It's my second time in this city; my first visit was when Donnell was still in college. For this more recent visit, I had a chance to see the campus of San Jose State University at night.

The place was just like any other campus that I've seen in California... a lot of wall art (most likely created by the artistic students on campus) and a lot of period houses that double as office spaces.




The campus actually reminded me a bit of the Ateneo de Manila University campus because the university library of SJSU is also located in an ultra-modern building. 



There are parts of the campus that were all about diversity and people's struggles against discrimination. The campus celebrates the achievements of students of different races with statues and parks.





After touring the interiors of the campus, Joyce and her friend brought me to where the students buy food and drink outside campus. It looked very sophisticated, unlike UPLB's Grove (just outside the gate) which still feels very homey. I guess, however, that this will not remain forever because McDonald's has been along Grove for quite some time already (since I was in college). It won't be long before other franchises come into my quiet college town.






Managed well, Grove might just have a similar vibe to what SJSU has... or maybe not, because San Jose is an urban campus.


On our way out, we passed by several houses rented by Greek-lettered organisations. This is probably one of them, all decked out with the holiday spirit. It's certainly very charming.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses