#RevelationsArt @deyoungmuseum

After visiting the Mexican collection, we continued exploring the art collection in the de Young Museum. Up next was one called Revelations: Art from the African American South. This exhibit featured the works of African American artists from southern USA. While walking through the exhibit, I noticed that the artists weren't just documenting what they or their ancestors have gone through in the Americas. They were also reaching back to their African roots... trying to express the suffering their ancestors experienced, forcibly being moved across the Atlantic Ocean. There were a lot of reds and blacks, which (to me) symbolised pain and anger. I also felt that there was a sense of being lost, floating, taking on whatever hits them head on... overall, I thought I was looking at expressions of a strong people adapting and thriving in a world they were thrust into.






I found it fascinating that the African American artists featured in Revelations had very distinct style and messages compared with the pieces in the African art collection.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses