maki-kain.

The theme of this afternoon's snack break was make-your-own maki. We learned how to make our own sushi rolls; I just had to run off because of a meeting I had to be in.

In the brief time I had to assemble a roll, I learned that:
  1. sushi rice should not be spread over the dry seaweed (nori) like peanut butter;
  2. sushi rice should not be placed on the nori too thickly;
  3. cheddar cheese is not normally used as a filling in maki (although I have to protest... cheese is delicious with pink salmon);
  4. the fillings are placed on one side of the nori, not in the middle; 
  5. the bamboo mat is used to tighten the roll.

In my hurry, I didn't have time to make a proper roll... I did many things improperly: I placed a thick layer of sushi rice on top of the nori; I put the slices of pink salmon and vegetables right at the middle of the nori; I loosely rolled the maki and didn't use the bamboo mat properly.

To make the long story short, I set out to make a maki roll. I ended up with a nori burrito!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses