the CCP: beyond the theater experience

I've been to the Cultural Center of the Philippines (CCP) several times before but only to watch at the Tanghalang Nicanor Abelardo (the main theater) and at the Tanghalang Aurelio Tolentino (the Little Theater). It was a real treat for me when my sister and I visited the other parts of the CCP because I've never seen them before.

Pasilyo Victorio Edades
While waiting in line at the balcony of the Tanghalang Nicanor Abelardo, I noticed a blank white wall which looked like it was being prepared for an exhibit, or just had seen the ending of a previous one. Maybe I'll see something posted here when I go back.
Museo ng Kalinangang Pilipino
The museum features a collection of traditional instruments from the Philippines, Korea, Japan, Thailand, China, India, and Indonesia. A look at all the instruments on display made me think that musical culture in Asian countries must be very similar: gongs, drums, stringed instruments, wind instruments. What makes each country's music unique is the melodies made out of these instruments.
Further inside the museum is the exhibit on Philippine traditions called "Diwa: Buhay, Ritwal at Sining". I believe that this exhibit is a must-see for anyone who enters the confines of the CCP because it puts what's written in history and coffee books to life... well, into life-size replicas. While the clothes worn by the mannequins appear to have come straight from the costume department of the dance troupes performing in the CCP, these clothes show how diverse the different ethnic groups in the Philippines are. The differences are also highlighted by the diversity of rituals, religious icons, traditions, and jewelry of the different cultures making up the Philippines.
If I were to take one lesson from my visit to the CCP Museum, it is this: The Philippines is one country made up of diverse cultures. However, the different peoples making up this nation are more similar than they are diverse. Their cultures are even similar to those of peoples found in the Philippines' neighbors in Asia.
Bulwagang Juan Luna
On this visit, the gallery exhibits the works of the National Artist Jose Joya (1931-1995), a prolific visual artist. The collection on display included sketches from his travels, ceramic art, abstract paintings, and prints. I haven't encountered his works until my visit to the gallery, as I have a very limited exposure to visual arts.
Of Joya's artworks on display, my favorite has to be his painting "Ligawan" (1948). It shows a man and a woman, wearing clothes in fashion at the turn of the 19th century, seated by a table while being watched by people seated on a couch (seen through the reflection on a mirror). The painting reminded me of the famous Filipino artists Juan Luna and Felix Resurreccion Hidalgo.
Bulwagang Carlos V. Francisco
The exhibit on display at the moment is "Tony Perez: A Playwright Who Paints". This exhibit is a companion of the ongoing performances of "Tatlong Tabing: Three Plays by Tony Perez, which are being presented by the Tanghalang Pilipino. Aside from the paintings, photographs of the playwright are also on display. These black and white shots were taken of the playwright by the photographer Hedwig de Leon.

It's just too bad photography isn't allowed within the CCP. I would've been able to post photos of what I saw. This just means one thing: Please go visit the CCP and check out the art galleries and the museum for yourself. They do make for an interesting and educational afternoon, an alternative to shopping malls.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses