the eulogy is one of the hardest speeches i had to say

Just minutes before Lola Estay's funeral Mass last March 4, my mom and her siblings assigned me to speak on behalf of Lola's grandchildren. I'm sharing the draft of the eulogy I delivered.

---
One of my favorite fictional characters, Albus Dumbledore, said:

"After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure."

While Lola Estay sets off to her next great adventure, I'd like to remember and thank her for being the blessing that she was to everyone of us, particularly to my sister and me.

Thank you, Lola Estay for showering me and Anna with food.
She never forgot to give the two of us enough food to feed five people for a week. And when she grew weaker and frailer, she was worried that we didn't have anything to eat at home anymore. Don't worry, Lola, our fridge is stocked; and yes, at least one of your plastic containers is still at home.

Thank you, Lola Estay for keeping our family close.
Just look at all of us gathered here today. All of us have been touched by Lola's life in one way or another. My favorite memory of family unity, besides being at the dining table with her, was when we brought Lola Estay to the wrong terminal at the international airport. Imagine, when we realized that Philippine Airlines passengers were no longer embarking at the old terminal, the whole family ran all the way to the parking lot, raced to the Centennial terminal, and deposited a very confused and flustered Lola on a wheelchair just in time for her flight. Instead of the usual tears we always see when people say their goodbyes at the airport, all I saw was relief; relief that Lola was able to make it.

Thank you, Lola Estay, most importantly, for blessing us with our Mom, our aunts, and our uncle.
I didn't spend as much time with Lola Estay as many of you have because I don't live close by. However, I know that she is a great mom. Her goodness is reflected by my mom, one of the strongest women I know. It also shows on Tita Mely, one of the kindest people I know, and on Tita Babie and Tito Boy, who are also very kind to Anna and me.

Lola Estay has lived a most generous, unselfish, and loving life. While we are sad at this parting, I once again quote another of my favorite literary characters, Gandalf the White,

"I will not say: do not weep for not all tears are an evil."

At the same time, I choose to remember the joy that we had that day in the airport. We know that Lola Estay has left us but we also know that she has made it.

Comments

  1. Without a doubt she is in new adventure. My condolences to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brian. She's in a better place now. We're sad that she's gone, but we're happy (if that is the right term) at the same time. We miss her, that's for sure.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by!

Before moving on, please share your thoughts or comments about the post. :)

Thanks again!

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses