Poltergeist (2015)

These days, I find Freddie, Jason, and Chuckie more gross than they are scary. But there are movies that I'd prefer not to watch because they spook me, like last year's Dawn of the Planet of the Apes... or even Blair Witch Project (which I have never watched. Ever.). Then there are scary movies that I watch because my friends want to watch them. The first one I watched in the cinema with friends was The Sixth Sense (1999). The more recent one was this year's Poltergeist.

Well, it wasn't as scary as I had thought it would be. In fact, I thought I was watching Ghostbusters without the parapsychologists and without the Marshmallow Man and Slimer... basically without the obviously comedic elements. What made it feel like Ghostbusters to me was the presence of a paranormal expert and her team of graduate students, and a tv personality who was documenting ghost stories for his show. These characters helped the family in the haunted house to save the youngest of the brood. 

I learned later that this movie was a remake of an older movie. I wonder if the older movie was creepier than this one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses