Coming "home" to Microbiology

On March 17, I attended UPLB Institute of Biological Sciences' Microbiology Division's alumni homecoming. It was a day of meeting old friends (including our former instructors), meeting new ones (especially Microbiology majors from other batches), and reminiscing the days when we hung out by the pressure cookers during our pre- and post-lab activities. When I arrived, the party was in full swing, thanks to the adept hosting skills by my former professors (who have been tandem hosting since I was a student), Millet Carlos and Jun Barnes. 

They brought back good memories about my days as a Microbiology student. And then I also met my other professors, the fun ones, Sir Sabino and Sir Von... that made my day too!


More importantly, I saw my academic adviser in UPLB, Mam AKR. I was one of two BSc students she took under her wing from my batch (the other one is Mark Vicente). Her mentorship is one reason why I'm where I'm at right now. Hence, when she sent the homecoming announcement, I enthusiastically registered online. 

Seeing her along with the other two professor making up the "tres Marias", the three most feared teachers in the division, made me remember the time when I got nervous while selecting the courses I'd enrol in (as an incoming Microbiology major). I was so intimidated by Mam Agnes Zamora that I opted to forego Industrial Microbiology (MCB 160, I think). I didn't encounter Mam Ida Dalmacio's name among the required courses and among the electives... which was a huge relief for me. But I had to take Mam AKR's Microbial Genetics (MCB 130) class because I could use what I had learned there for my research project. To pay tribute to these three memorable professors, my group in MCB 130 decided to present the concept of DNA repair as the tres Marias requiring rescue out at sea (the story thickened with the involvement of a giant octopus!). 

Anyway, I was a bit saddened that my batchmates in Microbiology were not able to join in the homecoming. I understand that most of them probably preferred spending time with their families rather than driving all the way to UPLB on a Saturday, with the notorious gridlock at Pansol blocking the path; others were most likely working on that Saturday. The lack of batchmates was definitely compensated by my spotting of a friend, Fred, and another microbiologist, Janet. 


As I walked back to my car after the program, I looked at my name tag and the "bacteria" character that they have assigned to me. I guess that this orange bacillus with cilia and anthromorphic features summed up what I felt being there: a lot of happiness and a bit of nostalgia (perhaps more if my classmates were there).


It will be a few years until I'll be able to attend another reunion in UPLB. So I'm cherishing this moment until I meet them again. In the meantime, I'll see my professors in the next IRRI Biosafety Committee meeting.

Comments

  1. Hi, i'm an elbi-grad micro major as well! Tho I kind of fell out of love with micro during my undergrad years...still, it's so inspiring po to see successful people such as you (backread some of your more recent posts haha) come back home to wing D. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment! :) It's heartwarming to receive comments like yours and remember what it's like to spend A LOT of time in Wing D.

      I have to admit that I also left Microbiology as soon as I entered rice quality research.

      May I know your name (because it's labelled Unknown)? Thanks!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by!

Before moving on, please share your thoughts or comments about the post. :)

Thanks again!

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses