Skip to main content

driving around Porto-Novo

Last year, I explored Ouidah, a city in modern-day Benin. It was a significant location in the transatlantic slave trade when it was still known as Fortaleza de São João Batista de Ajudá. For my next visit to Benin, Val took me on a car tour of Benin's capital, Porto-Novo, another city whose name suggests a prominent Portuguese history. For me, it is fascinating to find a city with a Portuguese name in a country where people largely spoke French.

Upon crossing the bridge from Cotonou, the first thing I saw was a government building that's currently under construction. It sat right by the banks of an inlet of the Gulf of Guinea. 


In downtown Porto-Novo, the pace was much slower than in Cotonou. There weren't many multi-story buildings where we drove past. There are fewer vehicles on the roads here... but it could also be because we drove in when people were currently at work. There were not as many tourists as in Cotonou too. What I noticed (again) was the presence of what looked like the West African dwarf goat, a very robust breed of goat. 

Downtown Porto-Novo

I was bugging Val to bring me to museums so I could learn more about the city's and the country's culture and history. However, many of the museums were closed because of a festival that was happening during that weekend. Hence, I had to content myself with just driving past one of the museums: Palais Royal-Honme-Afin-Oba. It's a royal palace before and has been turned into a museum. I'm sure that I'll get to see it someday. 
King Toffa's Palace

We also passed by a statue of a man who Val said was a comedian. Looking more closely at the title below the statue, it says that the place is the headquarters of the national people's theatre. This man, therefore, must have been a very famous comedian, to be honoured that way with a statue.

National People's Theatre

Based on my first and second trips to Benin, I learn that his is a country where people of various religious belief systems live together in peace. Several places of worship are in close proximity with each other, for instance. For the first time, I've seen a Yoruba Abessan temple. It appears to be made of the same red soil found in the city. Apparently, it is a temple paying homage to a nine-headed deity.

Yoruba Abessan temple

Not far from the temple are what appears to be two mosques. The yellow-and-grey mosque was easy to notice from the main road because of the architecture. But I mistook the red building as a Roman Catholic church because of the strong European elements... in fact, I was reminded of the Baroque churches in the Philippines. I would have wanted to see it up close but we still had people to visit; hence, we were just passing through this time.

Mosque

The Catholic church is also nearby. It seems like the newest structure among the religious buildings we've passed on this short road trip around Porto-Novo. Actually, it reminded me of the San Isidro Labrador Church in Pasay City. We were able to drive to the side of the church but we were not able to go inside because it was closed.

Porto-Novo Cathedral

After that brief tour around the downtown area of Porto-Novo, it was time to head to the residential area. I should be used to the view by now because I've seen it in India and in Benin during my previous travels... but I am always taken aback by how red the soil is. It's such a stark difference from what I normally see in Manila or in San Francisco, for example. Plus, there's a sprinkling of extremely tall trees in the hazy distance.



Porto-Novo is definitely a city I'll be visiting again. This trip was just a preview of a deeper dive into its culture and its history. It's most likely going to be fascinating because, like Manila, Porto-Novo has been under European rule for several centuries. Seeing how different cultures blend into how the city currently identifies itself is going to be interesting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

I went on a day trip to the City of Pines, which was around a 700-km drive from my house. I drove  going up there and then from the city to Victoria, Tarlac. After that, my dad took over the driving duties. It was day trip with Tita Ising and Tito Sibing with us. Anyway, this trip was my first time to go to Baguio City with me behind the wheel. As everyone who drives up knows, there are three main routes to Baguio from the lowlands: Kennon Road, which ascends from Rosario, La Union. It was out of my options because it's too dangerous to use that road in the rainy season. The second route is via Naguilian Road, which makes my trip a lot longer because the beginning of the ascent is in Bauang, La Union (further north). The last route, and the one I took, was the Marcos Highway, now known as the Aspiras-Palispis Highway. This 47-km road starts from Agoo, La Union and is touted as the safest route among the three.  As I drove up and then down (on the same day; we were in Bagu

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

The laboratory I work in has plenty of instruments that help us characterise and identify microorganisms causing diseases in patients. One of my current projects is to validate an instrument called "matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometer" (MALDI-TOF-MS) in identifying members of the Mycobacterium  species. Many of these organisms are opportunistic, meaning they only cause illnesses in people whose immune systems are not strong enough to fight infections. Mycobacterium leprae  is known for causing leprosy, but we cannot grow this bacterium in culture media, so we cannot isolate it. Mycobacterium tuberculosis  complex, on the other hand, is a group of several species of Mycobacterium  that causes tuberculosis. Tuberculosis is a disease that killed 1.6 million people in 2021 alone. It is a leading cause of death globally, second only to COVID-19 since the pandemic began. Identifying the Mycobacterium species that has infected a patient is

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses

On Dr Jose Rizal's birthday this year, I was back in historic Manila with Ate Bing, Ate Mary , and Manuel . But instead of visiting him, we opted to soak up on Philippine culture. Our first stop: the Cultural Center of the Philippines ' (CCP) Museo ng Kalinangang Pilipino .  Aside from the musical instruments, I noticed the dioramas about Filipino homes. Filipinos living by the sea (the 'sea gypsies', Sama Dilaut or Badjao ) have boathouses; those who live in the mountains, like the Bagobos , have developed interconnected houses in the trees; Filipinos who live along the path of the strongest typhoon winds, such as the Ivatans , have developed houses of thick limestone walls; and people who live in calmer conditions used bamboo and nipa to construct their houses, like the lowlanders and the Agtas . Sama Dilaut 'lepa' and houses on stilts (in the background) Ivatan limestone house nipa hut Ifugao 'fale' Maranao '