Skip to main content

At the Capitol

Val and I were in Washington, D.C. for a week. He attended a training course in the city and I was on vacation mode, fresh from boot camp. One of the landmarks we visited was the U.S. Capitol.

---

On our first night in the city, Val and I walked around to find the best route to his training venue. As we made the turn on Pennsylvania Avenue NW, I first saw the Capitol the way I see it on the telly. From this point, I thought that the walk towards the Capitol wasn't that far because of the size of the building. However, it's still about 30 minutes by foot!


A few days later, I was waiting for Val to finish class and I walked far enough to reach the reflecting pool of the Capitol. I thought that I might as well visit the Capitol since it's already right in front of me. When I got there, a guard said that the Visitor Centre was already closed for the day but I could go inside the next day... no appointment and no documents necessary.


The next day, Val took his lunch break near the Capitol. It's great that his class had breaks that were long enough to permit a walk to different landmarks along the National Mall. The way he described the class was that it's challenging and fast-paced. So a few minutes out in the sun on a beautiful spring day should make up for long hours inside their training room.

What he didn't know, while he was taking pictures on the lawn in front of the Capitol, was that I was actually inside the Capitol on a group tour!


I managed to get inside the Capitol through the Library of Congress. I first entered the Emancipation Hall where the plaster cast of the Statue of Freedom.


The bronze version of this statue sits on top of the Capitol dome. The fasces appear at the base of the statue, along with the motto "E pluribus unum".


Anyway, aside from the plaster cast, there were other statues inside the Emancipation Hall. One of the people I know of is Jack Swigert. He was an astronaut in the Apollo 13 program.


The tour brought us to the Crypt of the Capitol. It's supposed to be the resting place of George Washington. However, he opted to be buried in Mount Vernon so the crypt is empty. This is the first stop of the tour and we were able to see statues representing different states.



We also saw a compass on the floor. This indicates the different directional divisions of Washington, D.C. streets. For example, the NW in Pennsylvania Avenue NW.


The next room my tour group entered was the Rotunda. It's a sight to behold and I wasn't sure where to look first. Our guide pointed up all the way to the top, where a vague painting is located. It's called the "Apotheosis of Washington" and it was created by Constantino Brumidi. Good thing my camera had good zoom capacity; I was able to get a clearer image of the painting... in which George Washington was surrounded by what seem to be angels.



Closer to eye level, was a fresco frieze, also by Brumidi, that depicted various scenes in the history of the U.S., from the arrival of Europeans to the development of airplanes. Below the frieze were paintings. Four of which were all about arrival of the Europeans and the conversion of the natives to Christianity while the rest were about the establishment of the United States (independence from the British Empire and the signing of the Constitution, for example).


From the Rotunda, we passed by the office of current House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. I would have loved to meet her in person but she was probably in a House session (which wasn't part of the tour route). We then entered the National Statuary Hall where statues of exemplary residents of different states could be found. The guide identified some of the statues, like Rosa Parks (the "first lady" of the American civil rights movement, who refused to transfer to the "coloured" side of the bus when ordered by the bus driver) and Saint Junipero Serra, a Spanish Franciscan priest who founded Catholic missions in California (thereby establishing a foothold for the Spanish Empire in the west coast) while the Americans were fighting for independence in the east coast.


The only statue whose name I recognised easily was Norman Borlaug's because he's the father of the Green Revolution. He is one of the silent heroes who saved millions of people from poverty and hunger through cutting-edge agricultural science.


By the time I got out of my group tour, Val's class was already wrapping up. It was time for me to walk the length of Pennsylvania Avenue NW once again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

I went on a day trip to the City of Pines, which was around a 700-km drive from my house. I drove  going up there and then from the city to Victoria, Tarlac. After that, my dad took over the driving duties. It was day trip with Tita Ising and Tito Sibing with us. Anyway, this trip was my first time to go to Baguio City with me behind the wheel. As everyone who drives up knows, there are three main routes to Baguio from the lowlands: Kennon Road, which ascends from Rosario, La Union. It was out of my options because it's too dangerous to use that road in the rainy season. The second route is via Naguilian Road, which makes my trip a lot longer because the beginning of the ascent is in Bauang, La Union (further north). The last route, and the one I took, was the Marcos Highway, now known as the Aspiras-Palispis Highway. This 47-km road starts from Agoo, La Union and is touted as the safest route among the three.  As I drove up and then down (on the same day; we were in Bagu

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

The laboratory I work in has plenty of instruments that help us characterise and identify microorganisms causing diseases in patients. One of my current projects is to validate an instrument called "matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometer" (MALDI-TOF-MS) in identifying members of the Mycobacterium  species. Many of these organisms are opportunistic, meaning they only cause illnesses in people whose immune systems are not strong enough to fight infections. Mycobacterium leprae  is known for causing leprosy, but we cannot grow this bacterium in culture media, so we cannot isolate it. Mycobacterium tuberculosis  complex, on the other hand, is a group of several species of Mycobacterium  that causes tuberculosis. Tuberculosis is a disease that killed 1.6 million people in 2021 alone. It is a leading cause of death globally, second only to COVID-19 since the pandemic began. Identifying the Mycobacterium species that has infected a patient is

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses

On Dr Jose Rizal's birthday this year, I was back in historic Manila with Ate Bing, Ate Mary , and Manuel . But instead of visiting him, we opted to soak up on Philippine culture. Our first stop: the Cultural Center of the Philippines ' (CCP) Museo ng Kalinangang Pilipino .  Aside from the musical instruments, I noticed the dioramas about Filipino homes. Filipinos living by the sea (the 'sea gypsies', Sama Dilaut or Badjao ) have boathouses; those who live in the mountains, like the Bagobos , have developed interconnected houses in the trees; Filipinos who live along the path of the strongest typhoon winds, such as the Ivatans , have developed houses of thick limestone walls; and people who live in calmer conditions used bamboo and nipa to construct their houses, like the lowlanders and the Agtas . Sama Dilaut 'lepa' and houses on stilts (in the background) Ivatan limestone house nipa hut Ifugao 'fale' Maranao '