Skip to main content

Afternoon at the Lafayette Reservoir

This is my third visit to the Lafayette Reservoir, a water supply standing by for customers of the East Bay Municipal Utility District. Also, this is one of the rare occasions that my son and I were out of the house because of COVID-19 restrictions still being enforced in the Bay Area. Outdoor recreation is allowed as long as we stay away from others and people over the age of two years old wear masks.

It's almost surreal to me that we're outdoors just as winter is giving way to spring. The last time we were out, the temperature outside hovered just below 60 ºF/ 15.5 ºC which felt even colder because of the strong winter wind. We were all bundled up, with me wearing my son in a baby carrier covered with a polar fleece winter coat. But just a few weeks later, we were already walking in the forest surrounding the reservoir wearing activewear sans winter outerwear. 

Anyway, I'm glad that we were able to go outdoors because I needed the exercise (to help my knees and hips recover from postpartum aches and pains), the wee one needs to be exposed to nature, and fresh air would do us a lot of good.

As we entered the lakeside reservoir trail (one of two trails around the reservoir), we were met by this bulletin board regarding rules and safety reminders. We were supposed to watch out for wild animals, inedible mushrooms, and fire hazards, among others.



I think that this is the first time that I've seen pelicans on the reservoir's lake. During my previous visits, I observed other birds (like wild turkey and blue heron). There were other birds in the reservoir too but I didn't know what they were.



Since this is a reservoir whose water has high concentrations of mercury and other contaminants, people and pets aren't allowed to be in the water. However, fish caught in the reservoir are safe to eat after these have been thoroughly and properly cleaned.



Anyway, I didn't want the wee one to miss out on the sights so I opted to carry him front-facing using the ErgoBaby Omni 360 (the mesh feature came in really handy when the temperature peaked!). He thoroughly enjoyed seeing the trees, the birds, and the toddlers who were walking along the path with their parents. He was giggling and babbling during our trail walk except when he started feeling sleepy (which was when we were almost back at the parking lot). I am really glad that he had a great time outdoors.



We picked a great day to go on our walk. It still gets cold (temperatures dip to the high 30s) but trees have started to bloom. Yes, it's also a sign of the beginning of allergy season but the flowers show that we're nearing spring. Here's to lots of hope that the COVID-19 pandemic is almost over—with people getting vaccinated—and activities go back to normal (so that my son can finally meet Val).



As always, I look forward to going back to the Lafayette Reservoir. Perhaps next time, I'll be strong enough to dare follow the longer and more difficult Rim Trail.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

I went on a day trip to the City of Pines, which was around a 700-km drive from my house. I drove  going up there and then from the city to Victoria, Tarlac. After that, my dad took over the driving duties. It was day trip with Tita Ising and Tito Sibing with us. Anyway, this trip was my first time to go to Baguio City with me behind the wheel. As everyone who drives up knows, there are three main routes to Baguio from the lowlands: Kennon Road, which ascends from Rosario, La Union. It was out of my options because it's too dangerous to use that road in the rainy season. The second route is via Naguilian Road, which makes my trip a lot longer because the beginning of the ascent is in Bauang, La Union (further north). The last route, and the one I took, was the Marcos Highway, now known as the Aspiras-Palispis Highway. This 47-km road starts from Agoo, La Union and is touted as the safest route among the three.  As I drove up and then down (on the same day; we were in Bagu

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

The laboratory I work in has plenty of instruments that help us characterise and identify microorganisms causing diseases in patients. One of my current projects is to validate an instrument called "matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometer" (MALDI-TOF-MS) in identifying members of the Mycobacterium  species. Many of these organisms are opportunistic, meaning they only cause illnesses in people whose immune systems are not strong enough to fight infections. Mycobacterium leprae  is known for causing leprosy, but we cannot grow this bacterium in culture media, so we cannot isolate it. Mycobacterium tuberculosis  complex, on the other hand, is a group of several species of Mycobacterium  that causes tuberculosis. Tuberculosis is a disease that killed 1.6 million people in 2021 alone. It is a leading cause of death globally, second only to COVID-19 since the pandemic began. Identifying the Mycobacterium species that has infected a patient is

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses

On Dr Jose Rizal's birthday this year, I was back in historic Manila with Ate Bing, Ate Mary , and Manuel . But instead of visiting him, we opted to soak up on Philippine culture. Our first stop: the Cultural Center of the Philippines ' (CCP) Museo ng Kalinangang Pilipino .  Aside from the musical instruments, I noticed the dioramas about Filipino homes. Filipinos living by the sea (the 'sea gypsies', Sama Dilaut or Badjao ) have boathouses; those who live in the mountains, like the Bagobos , have developed interconnected houses in the trees; Filipinos who live along the path of the strongest typhoon winds, such as the Ivatans , have developed houses of thick limestone walls; and people who live in calmer conditions used bamboo and nipa to construct their houses, like the lowlanders and the Agtas . Sama Dilaut 'lepa' and houses on stilts (in the background) Ivatan limestone house nipa hut Ifugao 'fale' Maranao '