Lunching at #Hugot Cafe

I was invited by students of the Polytechnic University of the Philippines' (PUP) BSc Food Technology seminar course as a resource person. Because I arrived early at the Hasmin Hostel, the venue of the seminar, I thought it would be a good time to eat lunch. The students who welcomed me brought me to this restaurant, run by Hotel and Restaurant Management students, called #Hugot Cafe.


How mainstream and trendy, I thought. The students probably were banking on the popularity  of the plethora of films addressing the pain and the feeling of hopelessness caused by break-ups and unrequited love. Very interesting. Once seated at my table, I was pleasantly surprised by the options in the menu. I opted to try PORksteakEBER (pork chop stewed in soy sauce and calamansi, paired with rice and buttered vegetables) as my main dish and chocOPTION LANG (brownie ala mode with ube ice cream instead of vanilla) as my dessert. I also got Third Party (iced tea... Took some time to get the play on the pronunciation) as my beverage.


While waiting for the food to arrive, I noticed the notes decorating my table. Their messages were akin to Instagram photos of quotes on moving on from the pain. Also witty. And then there's was the playlist. Nothing but songs for the broken-hearted. Not exactly appetising music fare but still in tune with the restaurant's concept.


The food, I have to say, is good! For PHP 95, I had a relatively good meal! I'd prefer a bigger serving of vegetables, of course. And the service was good. The student servers were all very professional (they're almost as good as the ones I've encountered in fine dining restaurants). I look forward to seeing them make guests feel at home in whatever lodging facility or restaurant they find themselves working in. 

"Where Do Broken Hearts Go?", asked Tita Whitney (Houston). Now I know where (for PUP students, at least): at the #Hugot Cafe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses