getting my driver's license in California

One of the first things I had to do was to get my driver's license at the DMV. I had to take two tests before I could be granted the privilege to drive here. The first one was the knowledge test; the second one was the behind-the-wheel test.

Knowledge test
On the first day I arrived at the DMV, the queue was so long that I didn't have the time to take the test. However, I was allowed to process my paperwork (and pay the fee), take the vision test, and then have my photo taken. I just had to return another day to take the test.

On test day itself, I was told that I didn't have to wait in line; I could directly go to the exam room. The technicians there remembered me because I was one of the last clients on my first visit. One of them was very encouraging and made sure that the examinees were relaxed before and during the exam. He also made sure that we understood the instructions before we took the test. I didn't realise immediately that the test was on a touchscreen. I kept clicking the mouse to no avail! But once I got a hang of it, I got through the test smoothly. The nice thing about the test was that it told you the correct answer when you made a mistake. Aside from testing one's knowledge of the road rules, it also aimed to instruct. Anyway, I passed the test and I was given my instruction permit.

I had a bit more than a month to practice for the practical test!

Behind-the-wheel test
Test day finally arrived! Daddy and I went to the DMV with me driving the car. At the DMV, I was directed to a window with a very short queue: all of the people in line were taking the behind-the-wheel test. The staff were (again) very encouraging and kept telling us that we'd do a good job at the test. After a few minutes of verifying my documents (driving permit, car registration, and car insurance), I was instructed to bring the car around the building where I was going to start the driving test.

The examiner assigned to me started off with asking me about hand signals. Yes, hand signals! But I remembered the hand gestures when I was learning how to ride a bike, so I sailed through that. Then she checked if I knew where my car's signal lights and brake lights were. After these pre-driving test items, off we went around the neighbourhood. She gave directions for turning, lane changes, backing up, and parking. I got tested on driving through intersections and roads with different speed limits. After what I thought was an hour of going round and round, I realised that we were on our way back to the DMV because the scenery became familiar. I was able to sigh in relief because the test had ended. I was just awaiting what her evaluation was.

After I parked the car, the examiner told me what my areas for improvement were. And then the most important news: I passed the test on my first take!

I went back into the building where a staff member issued an interim driver's license. I can now finally drive while I await my license card.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses