Fentons ice cream

At the Museum of Ice Cream in San Francisco, one of the ice cream stops had a guide asking visitors what their favourite ice cream memories were in exchange for a cone of soft-serve ice cream. Some visitors talked about ice cream melting because of the summer heat or about ice cream scoops accidentally falling onto the ground. And then there were others who mentioned spending time at Fentons, an ice cream parlour famous for its invention of the rocky road ice cream flavour.


Anna, Joycelyn, Biboy, and I had a chance to eat at Fentons' second branch (in Vacaville) after we failed to find Sherlock Holmes and his companion


Though we were so full because the serving portions of our dinner were huge, we couldn't leave without eating its handcrafted ice cream. I think we got a classic combination: one scoop each of chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry topped with a generous pile of whipped cream and chocolate fudge. I found the ice cream rich and sweet. It was definitely creamier than the ice cream I've tasted in other places. Actually, it reminded me of the chocolate ice cream I ate in Copenhagen

I got to experience a 122-year old Bay Area tradition... as the temperature dipped to 36 °F. I could see why it's a memorable experience. Many kids in this part of California associate a visit to Fentons to happy memories like birthdays, judging by the families having celebrations (waiters broke out into song to the delight of the birthday kids).

I finally understood what the visitors at the Museum of Ice Cream were talking about. 

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses